***Updated to align with the Common Core on 10-6-12
If you are looking for an AWESOME Thanksgiving reading and writing unit, this is for you! The book you need for these activities is called Turkey Trouble, by Wendi Silvano. The book can be used over the course of the month to complete some or all of the following activities:
Activities in this packet include:
- Ask Questions
- Visualization- creating a story strip
- Characterization/Character Traits
- Story elements Graphic Organizer
- Book Theme
- Parts of Speech
- Play that can be used for fluency adapted by Nicole Shelby
- Compare/Contrast Diagram for book and play
Thanksgiving writing activities that correlate with the story:
Turkey Disguise Writing Activity: Send one (you choose) of the turkey outlines home about a week prior to your actual due date. While they were disguising the turkey at home, the students will write a persuasive essay from the turkey's point of view explaining how a person couldn't possibly eat him now because he wasn't a turkey he is ___________.
Survival Story: Have students write a descriptive story about the turkey and its disguise and how it helped the turkey survive.
Point of view Speech Bubble: Have students write a story or speech bubble from the perspective of the turkey to teach point of view. Example sentence could be, You should not eat turkey for Thanksgiving. You should ________________ instead. Students provide supporting details.
Picketing Turkeys: You know the "Chick-fil-a" cows,; if you've never seen the marketing for the fast food chicken restaurant, their mascot is a cow that is seen all around holding up misspelled picket signs saying things like "Eat More Chikin". Use the turkey handout (the 2nd one works best) and create picket signs that read "Eat More ______." Make the signs using an index card and a popsicle stick and color a turkey reproducible. We attach the sign to the turkey after coloring and cutting. These turkeys come out SO cute!
- Signs that can be hung with your turkeys in the hallway
- Letter to Parents about Turkey Disguise Project
- Paragraph template for rough draft (persuasive paragraph)
- Stationery for final copy
- Story of survival template that can be used for the rough draft and final copy
-Narrative Planning Organizer
- Speech Bubble Template
- 3 different turkey reproducible sheets to choose from for the turkey disguise activity
I am confident that you will LOVE this unit and it will be one of your favorites!
Check out my blog with pictures of my turkeys.
**** This unit correlates nicely with my newly posted 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving unit. My plans are to complete the 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving prior to this one.