Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
This is a unit over Turn of the Century that was planned with the Georgia Performance Standards in mind while creating it. The standard reads:
SS5H3 The student will describe how life changed in America at the turn of the
a. Describe the role of the cattle trails in the late 19th century; include the Black Cowboys of Texas, the Great Western Cattle Trail, and the Chisholm Trail.
b. Describe the impact on American life of the Wright brothers (flight), George Washington Carver (science), Alexander Graham Bell (communication), and Thomas Edison (electricity).
c. Explain how William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt expanded America’s role in the world; include the Spanish-American War and the building of the Panama Canal.
d. Describe the reasons people emigrated to the United States, from where they emigrated, and where they settled.
The listing includes the following instructional items:
- A PowerPoint including information on the Spanish-American War, Theodore Roosevelt, Panama Canal, and Immigration.
- Notes pages that allow students to follow along and fill in the blanks of important sections of their notes. Vocabulary matching is included on the notes pages.
- Two vocabulary matching activity that allows students to cut out cards and match terms to their definitions.
- A class "I have, who has" game that allows students to review important concepts of Turn of the Century
- A study guide for review
- Turn of the Century assessment
NOTE: If you would like to edit the presentations, products, or tests in any way – PLEASE feel free. I am satisfied with my product AS IS, but realize others may wish to make edits.
Other (copyrighted - sorry!) instructional items were used in addition to the teaching and assessing of my own students, but these items were a huge part of my Turn of the Century instruction for me.
Those instructional items include:
Carole Marsh 5th Grade Social Studies Workbook, located at:
Georgia Test Prep CRCT for 5th Grade, located at:
I have included the files as word documents, so please feel free to edit them to your needs/teaching.
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions!