The following is a common core-based lesson/worksheet on the Protestant Reformation. This lesson serves as an introduction to the abuses of the Catholic Church during the Middle Ages and the Reformation started by Martin Luther. This lesson contains a variety of student-centered activities designed to develop critical thinking and discussions skills such as:
• Do now reviewing prior knowledge and setting up the lesson
• Students are then given an official looking handout (attached and can be easily altered to fit your particular needs) telling them that they can now purchase points in their average. Sets up an excellent discussion on the fairness of this. It is then revealed that this is just like indulgences in the Middle Ages – Students typically go crazy during and after this activity.
• Secondary source readings with critical thinking and thought provoking questions.
• Primary source readings from the 95 Theses – students must translate and determine Luther’s beliefs.
• Multiple opportunities for class discussion.
I also offer the next two lessons in the sequence on the Protestant Reformation separately...
Spread of the Protestant Reformation - Global/World History Common Core
Counter Reformation - Catholic Church Response to Luther - Global Common Core
...or all three bundled together.
Bundle #9 - The Protestant Reformation - Global/World History Common Core
...or bundled with several others from the Renaissance and Reformation era...
Bundle #12 - Renaissance and Reformation - Global/World History Common Core
This lesson could easily be modified for longer or shorter class periods. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Please follow me to receive notifications for newly uploaded lessons/worksheets. Please rate this worksheet if you find it useful. Thank you!