Learning has never been so exciting as it will be with the story of 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving by Dav Pilkey. This book study has six different activities. These activities include a retelling anchor chart, retelling the events cut/paste worksheet, bookmark and puppets to retell the story, craft where the children have a turkeys hiding under their shirts, STEM activity, and Disguise a Turkey activity.
1. Retelling Anchor Chart:
- Use retelling puzzle pieces to make an anchor chart including character, setting, events, problem, and solution.
2. Retelling the Events Cut/Paste:
- Students can use the anchor chart to cut/paste the events in order. (7 main events are included).
3. Retelling Bookmark (puzzle pieces) and "Puppets":
- Students can practice retelling the story using the puppets and the retelling bookmark.
4. Opinion Writing and Craft:
- This craft is fun! The students cut/color either a boy or a girl. They choose a shirt for their child. They color, cut, and glue a turkey onto the belly of the child and then the shirt acts as a flap. It looks like the child is hiding the turkey! Then, they will do a short opinion writing saying if they would save the turkey or eat him!
5. Save the Turkeys STEM:
- The bus broke down and the children have to get the turkeys past the farmer! They will choose whether they will go over him, under him, or around him. Using the student STEM booklet, they will plan, build, and reflect on their project! Some ideas for building could include: catapult, zip line, hot air balloon, bridge, underground tunnel, or making themselves camouflage or disguised as another animal.
6. Disguise a Turkey:
- Use this as a Family or Classroom project! Students use a turkey template and disguise them as something else to get past Farmer Mack Nuggett! They then will do a short writing!
Don't forget- leaving feedback earns you TPT credits toward free TPT purchases!
FOLLOW ME to be notified when new resources are uploaded AND I offer 50% off my products for the first 48 hours. It pays to follow.
ROCK YOUR LITERACY BLOCK!
JD's Rockin' Readers