Also included in
- This resource teaches students various two-digit addition and subtraction strategies and three-digit addition and subtraction strategies including open number lines, base ten blocks, expanded form (composing and decomposing numbers), and more. The 2-digit addition and subtraction strategies and 3-di$17.60$22.00Save $4.40
This resource teaches students various two-digit addition strategies and three-digit addition strategies including open number lines, base ten blocks, expanded form (composing and decomposing numbers), and more. The 2-digit addition strategies and 3-digit addition strategies activities, posters, and centers do not teach using the traditional algorithm! Common Core standards require students to be able to use different strategies to solve addition and subtraction problems, and this set focuses on ADDITION.
You may also want to check out the Subtraction Strategy Squad for subtraction strategies!
You can save money on this product by purchasing the Strategy BUNDLE!
Included in this pack are strategies for adding 2 and 3-digit numbers using a hundreds chart, number line, decomposing numbers (break it down - expanded form), base ten blocks, and finding doubles and make ten facts to add.
Each strategy has a specific cheerleader to help students remember the strategies. I have heard from SO many teachers how these strategy people have really made these strategies "stick" with their students! I have also included instructions for how to print multiple posters per page so they can be miniature-sized to fit in student notebooks.
Strategy People included are (posters come in two versions - 2-digit AND 2-digit):
- Hundreds Chart Harriet
- Base Ten Betsy
- Number Line Niles
- Break it Down Daisy
- Fact Finder Fiona
Also included with each strategy are practice pages in two versions. One version has addition problems already generated. The second version has blanks for teachers to create their own addition problems for students to solve.
Activities that go with the strategies:
- Number Line Dry Erase Center: Copy the cards on cardstock, cut, and laminate them. Students will use a dry erase marker to make jumps on the number line to add the numbers. Cards for 2-digit and 3-digit addition included and an optional recording sheet.
- The Hundreds Hustle: Place game pieces on the number 1 and set the spinner between both players. Spin the spinner, and add or subtract the number. The first player to reach 1 on the hundreds chart wins the game! Copy game board, spinner, and cards on colored cardstock for durability.
- Adding With Base Ten Betsy: Copy the base ten cards on cardstock, cut, and laminate them. Students will choose one card from the stack, spin the spinner, and add the numbers using the “Adding With Base Ten Betsy” mat. They can use a dry erase marker or base ten manipulatives to add. Cards for 2-digit and 3-digit addition included.
- BREAK IT DOWN DRY ERASE CENTER: Copy the cards on cardstock, cut, and laminate them. Students will use a dry erase marker to write on the cards how to break down each number and add them. Then, they will find the card with the matching sum. Cards for 2-digit and 3-digit subtraction included, as well as an optional recording sheet.
- Find It Frenzy: Play the board game to help Fiona solve the addition problems AND find her missing pom-poms by solving the addition problems.
- Ice Cream Cut & Paste of addition problems
Also included (versions still included with 2 & 3 digit for whichever you need):
- Mini-Lesson ideas for teaching the strategies
- Task cards for all strategies
- Quick printable practice pages
- 120 chart resources
- Blank posters for students to design their own examples
** Answer keys are included where applicable!
Check out the detailed preview for a closer look!