Also included in
- This resource teaches students various two-digit addition and subtraction strategies and three-digit addition and subtraction strategies including open number lines, base ten blocks, expanded form (composing and decomposing numbers), and more. The 2-digit addition and subtraction strategies and 3-di$17.60$22.00Save $4.40
This resource teaches students various two-digit subtraction strategies and three-digit subtraction strategies including open number lines, base ten blocks, expanded form (composing and decomposing numbers), and more. The 2-digit subtraction strategies and 3-digit subtraction strategies activities, posters, and centers do not teach using the traditional algorithm! Common Core standards require students to be able to use different strategies to solve addition and subtraction problems, and this set focuses on SUBTRACTION.
If you're looking for addition strategies, look here: Addition Strategies Cheer Squad
I also have a BUNDLE of both Addition & Subtraction Squads - HERE: Addition & Subtraction Strategy Bundle
Included in this pack are strategies for subtracting numbers using a hundreds chart, number line, decomposing numbers (break it down - expanded form), and base ten blocks.
Each strategy has a specific cheerleader to help students remember the strategies. I have heard from SO many teachers how these strategy people have really made these strategies "stick" with their students! I have also included instructions for how to print multiple posters per page so they can be miniature-sized to fit in student notebooks.
Strategy People included are (posters come in two versions - 2-digit AND 2-digit):
- Hundreds Chart Chelsea
- Base Ten Tasha
- Number Line Liam
- Break it Down Bethany
Activities that go with the strategies:
- Number Line Dry Erase Center: Copy the cards on cardstock, cut, and laminate them. Students will use a dry erase marker to make jumps on the number line to subtract the numbers. Cards for 2-digit and 3-digit subtraction included and an optional recording sheet.
- The Hundreds Hop: Place game pieces on the number 120 and set the spinner between both players. Spin the spinner, and add or subtract the number. The first player to reach 1 on the hundreds chart wins the game! Copy game board, spinner, and cards on colored cardstock for durability. Optional spinner with addition & subtraction included.
- Subtracting With Base Ten Tasha: Copy the base ten cards on cardstock, cut, and laminate them. Students will choose one card from the stack, spin the spinner, and subtract the numbers using the “Subtracting With Base Ten Tasha” mat. They can use a dry erase marker or base ten manipulatives to add. Cards for 2-digit and 3-digit subtraction included.
- BREAK IT DOWN DRY ERASE CENTER: Copy the cards on cardstock, cut, and laminate them. Students will use a dry erase marker to write on the cards how to break down each number and subtract them. Then, they will find the card with the matching difference. Cards for 2-digit and 3-digit subtraction included, as well as an optional recording sheet.
Also included (versions still included with 2 and 3 digit for you need):
- Task cards for all strategies
- Quick printable practice pages
- 120 chart resources
- Blank posters for students to design their own examples
** Answer keys are included where applicable!
Check out the detailed preview for a closer look!