Practice solving two-step equations with whole numbers with these fun mystery letter team relays!
Each relay has students work in groups of 4 to solve various 2-step equations. Each student will need to use the previous student's answer in order to solve their problem.
- Student 1 will solve a two-step multiplication and addition/subtraction equation
- Student 2 will solve a two-step division and addition/subtraction equation
- Student 3 will solve a two-step addition/subtraction and division equation
- Student 4 will solve a two-step multiplication/division and addition/subtraction equation
*** The equations in these relays contain only positive whole numbers! ***
Student 4's answer will tell the group the mystery letter. Checking if a group completed the relay correctly is as simple as checking their mystery letter!
There are 4 relays included (all with the same set-up) so that students can rotate roles each time, giving each student an opportunity to complete each of the different types of 2-step equations.
Competitive classes love making team relays a race!
The 10 pages of this download include:
- 1 cover page
- 1 page of teacher directions & tips
- 4 team relays
- 4 answer keys
I hope you and your students enjoy this cooperative learning activity!