Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Students often struggle to identify and types of sentences. Standards ask students to use simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex sentences. Many questions on standardized tests (such as the ACT) focus on punctuating different types of sentences. Finally, students need to apply the basic principles of types of sentences to their writing.
I created this presentation and scaffolded activities to help my students for these reasons.
This bundle includes:
✩ A grammar power-point with 24 slides. They cover the definitions of the types of sentences and provide examples. Students are given hints to use when deciding types of sentences, and then practice sentences.
✩ Students note taking sheets: Sheets for students to take notes as the Power Point plays.
✩ Scaffolded practice activities that build with difficulty in studying the types of sentences:
- 10 sentences where students must identify the subject and verb, and then identify the sentences as simple or compound.
- 10 sentences where students must find the subordinating conjunction, and then identify the sentences as complex or compound-complex.
- 15 sentences for students to identify as simple, compound, or complex.
- 20 sentences for students to identify as simple, compound, complex, or compound-complex.
- 15 sentences (I use this section as a quiz, but it will also work for practice). Students must identify an underlined portion as phrase, independent clause, or dependent clause. The remaining portion is between simple, compound, complex, or compound-complex sentences.
- 20 task cards to practice identifying types of sentences.
✩ Answer keys for the practice sentences.
Also included is four worksheets for students to analyze types of sentences. Students will discover ways that types of sentences are used, analyze a sentence from a story, and analyze a sentence from their own writing. This portion is NOT connected to the rest of the activities. It works perfectly as an extension activity.
This types of sentences grammar set is part of a larger grammar bundle, the Often Confused Grammar Concepts Bundle. You will save over 20% off with this grammar unit bundle.