This 16-day, comprehensive unit on A Raisin in the Sun includes:
- Guided notes handouts for all 16 days, as well as formal lesson plans and ppt presentations that guide through the lessons.
- An essential question to focus students' thinking throughout the unit: Are we governed by fate or free will?
- Guided reading questions for each chapter
- CCSS-aligned lesson objectives, covering:
> Introduction to Shakespeare (his life, works, and influence)
> Introduction to Drama (as a genre)
> Free verse vs. Blank verse vs. Prose
> Meter, Rhyme, Rhythm, Iambic Pentameter
> Metaphor and Personification
> Dramatic Irony
> Character Development (specifically surrounding the idea of "manhood")
> Reader's Theater--acting out the balcony scene!
> Comparative reading of short story "The Interlopers"
- A summative writing assignment (asking students to answer the essential question from the beginning of the unit).