Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
33.59 MB | 50 pages
This engaging, student centered Common Core literacy and writing activity set includes a lesson for each unit of US History that will get your students actively thinking. Each activity includes:
1. Common Core reading introduction for historical background
2. Primary source excerpts from historical documents including speeches, letters and government documents. All difficult text is defined right in the documents!
3. An engaging Common Core writing element where students either investigate and take a side or support their conclusions with evidence from the text.
4. Answer keys.
This over 50 page activity bundle is brand new, created to ease the pain of finding primary sources and fun activities that fit the Common Core Standards.
1. Patriots vs Loyalists- Who Said It?
2. Washington's Farewell Address- A Speech Analysis
3. Hamilton vs. Jefferson- A Political Grudge Match- Students agree or disagree with actual quotes in a 7 round boxing competition format to determine a winner!
4. The War of 1812- Analyzing the words of War Hawks and Doves
5. The Constitution- Who has the power?
6. The Bill of Rights- Do you have the right? Students analyze different scenarios after learning about each of the first 10 amendments.
7. Slave or Factory Worker- A comparison activity. Students analyze letters from Lowell girls and excerpts from slaves.
8. Uncle Tom's Cabin- A Primary source excerpt analysis
9. Indian Removal- Was it Fair? Students analyze the treaty of Echota
10. Civil War Letters! Students read the soldiers words.
11. Reconstruction- A primary source analysis activity
Plus We included 4 bonus activities covering/including Thomas Paine's Common Sense, The Declaration of Independence, A letter to King George and A Civil War Soldier Selfie Instagram Post!
Making learning fun and interactive is an outstanding way to excite your social studies students. While the goal of these activities is to create excitement and to spark interest in further study, they are also standards based. This activity encourages creativity, intelligent reflection, and decision making that will help you take an active approach to teaching while inspiring your students to make their own explorations of history, writing and reading.