In this 60-minute lesson plan, middle school students will be able to answer the following questions:
• How was Abraham Lincoln involved in the beginning of the Civil War?
• What were his main purposes in the Civil War?
• Which purpose did he make public from the start? Why?
• What was the Emancipation Proclamation seen as? Was it agreed with by the North? South?
• What limitations did the Emancipation Proclamation have? Why?
• How was Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War seen by other nations?
• How did the freeing of the slaves change the Civil War and how it was perceived?
Students will complete an activity in which they will answer various open questions in a short writing assignment. This lesson provides teachers with an extension activity and also project ideas.
Like us on Facebook by clicking the link below
Social Studies Studio Facebook