Interactive Notebooks are an effective, creative & engaging way to prompt your students to take an active role in the learning process. This unit on U.S. Imperialism will invite students to take a journey through time—having them critically explore colonialism from a variety of perspectives, analyzing primary sourced based materials, and above all, demonstrating their understanding through hands-on projects and discussion pieces. The graphic organizers and foldables in this resource are designed to be folded, cut, glued, & written upon in effort to enhance your instruction of history.
• Detailed Lesson Plan
• 1 Power Point (138 Slides) with animations, video clips & sound effects
• Study Guide
• Unit Exam & Answer Key
• Secondary Source: ‘The American Empire’
• 2 weeks IF all preparation for foldable/graphic organizers are assigned for homework.
• 3 weeks IF all preparation for foldable/graphic organizers is completed in class.
Topics covered include:
• Japan- ‘Gunboat Diplomacy’
• Alaska- Seward’s Purchase
• Hawaii- Annexation
• Midway Islands
• Cuba- Spanish American War
• Panama Canal & the Obstacles
• China- The Open Door Policy
• Scramble for Africa
• Critical thinking activities and discussion/debate questions throughout.