U.S. Presidential Elections - Word Searches and Crossword Puzzles
These 9 word searches and 3 crossword puzzles about how U.S. presidents are elected offer students an engaging way to supplement their learning about presidential elections and and American elections in general. The puzzles target 24 essential vocabulary words that will help students understand how the American presidential election process works.
✓ Please note:
These puzzles are included in the U.S. Election Activities product, which offers 6 additional resources for learning about the election process. You can find out more HERE.
Resource at a Glance:
* 24 vocabulary words dealing with how an U.S. president is elected and elections in America in general. (A list of the words can be seen in the More Info section below.)
All students, including English Language Learners.
* There are 3 word search puzzles: 1 puzzle with all 24 words, 1 puzzle with words about people and places related to elections, and 1 puzzle with words about voting in an election.
* Each word search puzzle has 3 versions based on the direction the words are written — easy, intermediate, challenging — to help meet the needs of a range of learners.
* Definitions of the words used in the crossword puzzles are written in easy-to-understand language so students at various reading levels can do them.
* A word bank is included for students who need additional support.
* Answer keys are provided for all word search and crossword puzzles to save you time.
* You can use the puzzles in lots of ways: For homework, in a center, as a filler when there’s extra time available, and/or with students who finish work early.
What educators who have used this resource say about it:
♥ "Terrific addition to my unit on government!" -- SueAnne F.
♥ "Great resource!" -- Stephanie J.
What you get in this product:
★ Table of contents for quick reference (1 page)
★ A Notes to the Teacher section with explanatory information (1 page)
★ 3 word search puzzles with 3 levels of difficulty each (9 word searches total), all with their own answer keys on separate pages:
→ 1 puzzle includes all 24 words
→ 1 puzzle includes 12 words about people and places associated with elections
→ 1 puzzle includes 12 other words related to voting
→ A cover page with 5 suggestions for use
(19 pages in all)
★ 3 different crossword puzzles with answer keys: 1 puzzle includes all 24 words, 1 puzzle includes 12 words about people and places associated with elections, 1 puzzle includes 12 other words related to voting; each puzzle includes:
→ 1 page for the actual puzzle
→ 1 page with the clues
→ 1 page with the puzzle filled in with the answers
→ 1 page with the answers next to the clues
→ 1 page with a word bank of all 24 words for students who need extra support
→ A cover page with 6 suggestions for use
(14 pages in all)
The vocabulary terms in the word search and crossword puzzles are: ballot, candidate, caucus, Congress, convention, delegate, Democrat, election, Electoral College, inauguration, independent, platform, political party, polling place, president, primary, register, Republican, representative, senator, Supreme Court, vote, Washington, D.C., White House.
The word searches and crossword puzzles use 24 words related to the presidential election process:
* There is 1 word search and 1 crossword puzzle that uses all 24 words,
* Another word search and a crossword puzzle that uses 12 words about people and places related to elections,
* And 1 more word search and 1 crossword puzzle that uses 12 words about voting in a presidential election.
Each word search has 3 levels of difficulty -- easy, intermediate, and challenging -- to address the needs of all your students. Answer keys are provided for all the word searches and crossword puzzles. In addition, cover pages offer suggestions for using both types of puzzles and make it easy to organize the materials.
How to use this resource remotely:
* For students to do on their own: Photocopy the puzzle(s) you want your students to do and the appropriate answer key (if you want students to correct their work themselves) and email/send the material home.
* Alternatively, if students have printers, email the puzzle(s) to them and tell them to print the work out themselves. Tell students what to do and have them email/send you their work when they’ve completed the puzzle(s). Use the rubric to correct the work if you prefer doing that yourself.
Let your students enjoy learning about the election process with these engaging resources!
You may also like these products:
★ U.S. Presidential Elections: Vocabulary Resources
★ U.S. Presidential Elections: Discussion and Writing Topics
★ What Is Impeachment Reading Passage, Word Search & Crossword Puzzles
★ Digital and Printable Holiday Word Search & Crossword Puzzles for the Whole Year
★ Word Walls for ELLs: Essential Content-Area Vocabulary for Grades 5-8
★ American Holidays: Acrostic Poem Posters with Writing Activities
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE or on the star by my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!