USA Studies Weekly Bundle Resource Weeks 16-20. This resource is a bundle to be used to assist in teaching from the 5th grade USA Social Studies Weekly newspapers. Each of the week’s activities/worksheets can be used to extend the learning from the articles, determine comprehension of the topics covered, and to engage students in learning about US History. Activities can be used with whole groups, in paired partners, and in cooperative learning groups.
While many of the USA Social Studies Weekly newspapers use the same articles and curriculum map, some of the Social Studies Weekly newspapers can differ from state to state depending on your standards. Please check the titles for each of your issues to ensure that these supplemental activities match the articles you are studying.
**USA Studies Weekly passages are not provided with this resource.
THIS PRODUCT IS NOT CREATED OR ENDORSED BY USA STUDIES WEEKLY.
Week 16: Growing Pains for the New Nation
Students will discover the problems facing the new nation, such as a weak central government, Shays’ Rebellion, and the need for national currency. Activities include:
- Articles of Confederation: This studies weekly article deals with the aftermath of the war and how the United States attempted to become one nation. Students will read the article and answer the comprehension questions. This activity can be completed as a whole group, independently, or as cooperative groups.
- Land Ordinance of 1785 & Shays’ Rebellion: Both activities are close reading activities.
- Northwest Ordinance of 1787: Students will learn how congress attempted to decrease debt by opening up areas of lands so states could be formed. Students will answer comprehension questions about this article.
- Mapping Skills: Students will complete a mapping activity about the Northwest Territory. Students will label the areas and create a key/legend to match their map.
Week 17: The Constitution
Students will be able to define the constitution, understand the rights/responsibilities of a U.S. citizen, and explain our system of checks and balances.
Activities in this week’s resource include:
- A graphic organizer on the branches of government with emphasis on their jobs
- Comprehension questions on the article The Constitution is Born
- Sorting activity on the Bill of Rights
- Close reading activity on the compromises states made in creating Congress
- An interactive notebook page on voting rights beginning in the 1870s to the 1970s
- Teacher keys to assist in whole group instruction and grading
Week 18: Plans for the New Government
In this resource, students will be able to demonstrate their understanding of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence. Students will also be able to compare Federalist and Anti-Federalist views of government.
- Vocabulary study guide, sorting page, game board for review, and assessment
- Interactive notebook page
- Worksheets and writing prompts that relate to founders of America
Week 19: Government of the People
In this resource students will be able to explain the structure of the government. Activities include:
- Handouts/graphic organizer to describe the three branches of government, roles of each branch, and the jobs each branch performs
- Note taking page on the powers of the state and federal government as well as shared powers of each
- A close reading activity on the invention of the cotton gin and ramifications this invention had on slavery
- A decoding activity about Thomas Jefferson
Week 20: The Louisiana Purchase
Activities in this USA Studies Weekly supplement include:
- A comprehension worksheet covering the events that led to the purchase of the Louisiana Territory from France
- Interactive notebook pages detailing the events that occurred when the Louisiana Territory was explored by Lewis and Clark
- A map skills handout where students distinguish the different sections of the United States in 1804
- Teacher keys for grading and guided practice are included.
Bundle and save with these great resources!
**Remember to leave feedback on the resources you purchase to receive TPT credit for future purchases.
Follow my store to receive updates on newly released resources by clicking the star beside my store name!