Presentation (Powerpoint) File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This editable, PowerPoint Lesson is all about the construction and function of the USS Constitution plus a bonus section about boat terminology. It's a great unit starter or supplement to the teaching. Plus fun facts along the way about Marine nicknames and reasons behind boat terminology.
The USS Constitution slides include:
* The type of boat - frigate and what that means
* Why it got its nickname Old Ironsides - including how it was built
* The size and purpose of the decks
* It's job carrying Marines, a short Marine history, and the origin of two of their most famous nicknames.
* It's strength and maneuverability (includes links to two different engagements in the War of 1812 - The HMS Guerriere Battle and Escaping a British Squadron)
The Boat terminology section has a pictured boat with a questions about what is called and the next slide gives the answer and the reasons those terms are used.
Boat Terms covered are:
* Leeward and Windward
* Plus a Sailing Directions chart
Fun Facts include:
Why don't we just say "left" and "right" on a boat or "front" and "back?"
Where did "leather neck" and "jar head" come from for Marine nicknames?
Why do some people call the bathroom "the head?"
What made USS Constitution so strong cannon balls would bounce off of it?
Why the Marines are called Marines and a short history.
THIS IS A PERFECT LAUNCH FOR MY (CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW).
Take a look at my store and the other great project starters and projects at: