The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld is a dystopian story with the concept of beauty as the focus. This book will appeal to boys as well as girls. The suspenseful story centers on Tally, a sixteen year old girl, who must chose between betraying her friend or losing her chance to be beautiful. This a wonderful edition to a unit on dystopian literature and the role of government.
This study requires students to think critically about text and to use text evidence to support their ideas. Writing is embedded in the study.
The unit includes
1. Comprehension and critical thinking questions.
2. Figurative language analysis.
3. Symbolism analysis.
4. Archetypes in literature analysis.
5. Chapter writing prompts suitable for journal and/or discussions.
6. Analyzing the use of irony.
7. Analyzing theme.
8. Writing about theme.
9. Vocabulary matrices.
10. Connecting vocabulary and writing.
11. Final Exam
12. Answer Keys
Uglies Novel Study
by Dianne Watson
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License