So you've selected your vocabulary lists for the year. Wouldn't it be amazing if - POOF! - you also had engaging and meaningful vocabulary activities that would help students remember your words long after they leave your classroom? Enter this bundle!
Whether you've chosen words from literature, from test prep lists, from a vocabulary book, or hand-selected words you think your students should know, the exercises in this bundle will complement them perfectly.
Designed to work with any Tier 2 vocabulary list,
these activities, games, and practice worksheets will get your students thinking creatively. If your classroom culture calls for small group activities, stations, creative learning, differentiation, brain-based learning, or enrichment, this bundle will keep your students interacting with their words in truly meaningful and memorable ways.
Included are the following (also available individually):
Differentiated Vocabulary Practice Task Cards and Assignments for Any Word List
1. 23 task cards that appeal to various learning styles to use as review.
2. Getting cozy with a word helps students to zero in on difficult vocabulary.
3. Getting to the root of a word gives them opportunities to break down word parts.
4. Predicting word meanings is an inductive learning activity.
5. A fourth vocabulary practice exercise encourages students to personify the word and think symbolically.
Truth or Dare Vocabulary and Choice Board
1. 40 Truth or Dare task cards make up a fun practice or review game.
2. A choice board features extension activities differentiated by learning style.
3. An open-ended rubric that allows teacher and student to agree upon criteria for a personalized learning experience.
*This resource is also included in my ELA Games Bundle.
Fun Vocabulary Practice Activities for Any Word List
1. A vocabulary dice game leveled with Bloom's Taxonomy to use with one word or the whole list.
2. A picture-based associations activity that consists of 78 quality images to use with almost any Tier 2 word.
3. An optional critical thinking note-taking page for the image association activity.
4. A 6 room doodle activity that capitalizes on the brain's ability to make connections through creative doodling.
5. Word Nerd bookmarks that provide a way for students to record when they locate your vocabulary words in reading outside of class or independently during class. Designed to be used as a small extra credit assignment.
Brain-Based Vocabulary Activities for High School, Speed Dating, Game, Continuum
1. A continuum to help students reflect on their understanding of the word.
2. A game that allows students to engage in meaningful vocabulary conversation in small groups.
3. A speed dating activity in which students participate in a mock speed dating event that requires them to "be" their vocabulary word. Critical thinking is required, and suggestions for differentiating for various levels of learners are included. This activity is designed for enrichment.
These engaging brain-based vocabulary activities work well at any stage of a vocabulary unit, but they are especially helpful to help students review their words on a regular basis to reinforce retention. They are designed to be used over and over again, saving your time and energy. They are most appropriate for older junior high or high school students.
Loving this? You might try these related products:
Growing ELA Games Bundle
Analyzing Texts Bundle
How to Write an Email to Teachers: Email Etiquette Mini Unit
You can find more unique, research-based ELA products by visiting my store
Stay in touch:
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading and Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.