This poignant and important story brings students into the life of an amazing character during the Depression and segregation in the South. This 40 page book response journal includes graphic organizers, constructed response writing, vocabulary, and story elements that include:
- Fiction vs. nonfiction
- What do you know about...
During Reading Activities:
- Important story events
-14 specific comprehension questions
After Reading Activities:
- Character analysis – proof from text
- Compare and contrast character from beginning to end of book
- Cause and effect
- Friendly letter writing - letter to character
- Main Idea
- 4 Reader's response writing prompts / text to self
- Book rating pages
- Author's purpose
- Vocabulary cards plus ABC order of vocab. words
- Beginning, Middle End
- Adjective find
- Important Nouns
- Paragraph writing on main character
Can be used in large, small and individual settings. Pages can be used individually or as a packet. Also useful for assessment.
Thank you for considering this work!