Lesson 3 of the Slavery and a Dividing Nation Unit: Events that led to the Civil War.
This engaging and visually appealing 30-slide PowerPoint presentation is easy to understand with content illustrated with charts and pictures. It’s an excellent way to teach about Reformers and the Underground Railroad.
NOTE: This slide presentation is a PowerPoint document. The text in the PowerPoint presentation can be altered, as can the order of the slides, transitions between slides, and animation of bullet points. The photos and proprietary fonts (in the titles and backgrounds) have been “digitally flattened” and are NOT ALTERABLE. This protects against copyright violation.
Overarching Question for this PowerPoint presentation (Thinking Focus Question):
- How did reformers try to end slavery?
This PowerPoint presentation examines:
- Roots of the anti-slavery movement
- The American Colonization Society and Liberia
- Samuel Cornish and John Russwurm and the impact of their anti-slavery newspaper
- Frederick Douglass and his abolitionist newspaper The North Star
- William Lloyd Garrison and his abolitionist newspaper The Liberator
- The Underground Railroad and how it worked to free slaves
- The life of Harriet Tubman and her role as the most famous abolitionist
- How ending slavery would cause northern merchants to lose money
- Violent protesting in the North
Key words include:
American Colonization Society
William Lloyd Garrison
This PowerPoint presentation and graphic organizer is part of the unit: A Dividing Nation: Events that led to the American Civil War. This unit can be downloaded in its entirety saving you substantially what it would cost you to buy each PowerPoint presentation and graphic organizer separately.
Each lesson comes with a visually appealing PowerPoint presentation and three graphic organizer notebook pages – separate answer key included! Here are other lessons in this unit you may be interested in:
Lesson 1: Northern Industry v Cotton Kingdom
Lesson 2: Nat Turner Slave Codes
Lesson 3: Reformers and the Underground Railroad
Lesson 4: Missouri Compromise
Lesson 5: Compromise of 1850
Lesson 6: Kansas Nebraska Act Bleeding Kansas
Lesson 7: Dred Scott Decision
Lesson 8: Lincoln Douglas Debates
Lesson 9: Fort Sumter Southern Secession
UNIT: Slavery and a Dividing Nation
Be sure to follow my store by clicking on the GREEN STAR next to my ZoopDog picture to receive notifications of new products. Thanks for stopping by my store!