Understanding connotations helps students understand the power of word choice. This tool is intended to teach the concept of word connotations and to provide students with meaningful practice in differentiating between words based on their connotative meanings.
This skill will improve comprehension and writing skills.
1. Study guide sheet/poster.
2. Activity in which students choose between two synonyms; students must explain why they chose each word.
4. Definitions of the selected words.
5. Students create their own connotation word pairs using an online thesaurus and dictionary, write sentences, and illustrate sentences.
6. Students find words with strong connotations in a text excerpt of authentic literature and explain their choices.
7. Students revise text with words with strong connotations.
8. Sample of revised text for teacher use.
Understanding Connotations And The Power of Words
by Dianne Watson
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License