Before trying to explain to students the challenges that citizens living in developing, autocratic nations face, it is important for students understand and realize that the quality of life in the United States doesn’t just happen because we are Americans. We have guaranteed rights and laws that protect our freedoms and our standard of living, and citizens play a major role in ensuring that the American quality of life is maintained and even improved upon. Self-reflection, group discussion, class discussion, and a writing activity provide an opportunity for students to develop this understanding and communicate that understading in a one-page written paper.
- Students will identify factors from their own quality of life in the United States.
- Students will work in groups to determine how the government and citizens contribute to the quality of life in an economically developed, democratic nation.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the role the government and the citizen play in a country’s quality of life in a writing assignment.
- The American Way of Life (Individual 23-question Handout)
- The American Way of Life Group Activity
(Graphic organizer to be used for differentiation and writing activity)
- Writing Rubric (for one-page essay)