Use this activity to help your students understand the bounds and conditions for maximum and minimum resultants of two vectors!
In this activity, students (a) determine the maximum and minimum possible magnitudes of the resultant of two given vectors and (b) determine the relationship between magnitude of the resultant and the angle between vectors.
Activities can be completed before instruction in kinematics topics, or worked into existing curriculum.
Correlates with standards and questions on the New York State Regents Exam in Physics. Carefully made distractors help to identify students who don't have full understanding of topic. Also aligns strongly with many other standardized test questions on vectors (AP Physics 1/2, SAT II Physics).
- Determine the relationship between the magnitude of the resultant of two vectors and the angle between them
- Determine the upper and lower bounds for possible resultants of two vectors
- Determining whether a set of three vectors is able to produce equilibrium
- 15 multiple choice questions
- 5 short answer questions
- Activity comes in PDF format, ensuring for accurate reprints