A can't-miss activity to help your students work with positive and negative components of two-dimensional vectors!
In this activity, students will be (a) measuring the magnitude and direction of scaled vectors in two dimensions and (b) calculating their components mathematically.
This activity is great when helping students understand that some components must be negative when they point in the opposite direction of other vectors in the same problem.
In this activity, 0° is defined as east, 90° north, 180° west and 270° south.
Activities can be completed before instruction in kinematics topics, or worked into existing curriculum.
Correlates with standards and questions on the New York State Regents Exam in Physics.
- Determine the scale used in a diagram
- Given the scale, measure the magnitude of pre-drawn vectors
- Measure the heading of pre-drawn vectors
- Calculate the magnitude of components using "0°-360°" coordinates
- 21 vectors in which students:
- measure a scaled vector
- determine the scale magnitude
- determine the two compass-based headings
- determine the "0°-360°" heading
- calculate the scaled horizontal and vertical component
- Metric ruler and protractor required
- Sample solution for some activities
- Activity comes in PDF format, ensuring for accurate reprints.