This unit for teaching John Steinbeck's novel THE GRAPES OF WRATH includes the following items, all of which are included in their original editable format and as PDFs to allow you to customize them:
(1) An eleven-slide PowerPoint that introduces John Steinbeck, the novel’s historical context, structure, point of view, major characters, symbols and motifs, Biblical allusions, themes, and the significance of the title
(2) An active reading guide that reminds students of the strategies that will help them to increase their understanding and comprehension of texts
(3) A total of 90 thought provoking open-ended discussion questions and 93 vocabulary words that correspond to the following groups of chapters: one-five; six-nine; ten-thirteen; fourteen-eighteen; nineteen-twenty-one; twenty-two-twenty-five; twenty-six-twenty-eight; twenty-nine-thirty
(4) A quote explication activity that includes four quotes from the novel that can be used as the basis for a discussion or a literary analysis activity
(5) A scoring guide for the quote explication activity
(6) An essay planner that includes a choice of three writing prompts and a graphic organizer students can complete prior to writing a five-paragraph essay
(7) A list of guidelines for writing literary analysis essays that students can use throughout the writing process
(8) A scoring rubric for the literary analysis essay
(9) Two versions of an objective reading quiz that focuses on the novel’s chronology and characters
(10) Answer keys for the two versions of the objective reading quiz
Every item I have listed is a resource that I have developed and refined through its use in my own classroom with my own students—there are not commercially developed products!
I love sharing my materials and hope that you will enjoy using them as well!