This unit for teaching Edith Wharton's novel The Age of Innocence includes the following eleven items, all of which are included in their original editable format and as PDFs to allow you to customize them:
(1) A twelve-slide PowerPoint that introduces the novel’s setting, major characters, conflicts, symbols and motifs, and themes, along with Wharton’s writing style.
(2) An active reading guide that reminds students of the strategies that will help them to increase their understanding and comprehension of texts.
(3) Nine thought provoking discussion questions students can complete as they read or after they read.
(4) A quote explication activity that includes four quotes from the novel that can be used as the basis of a discussion or literary analysis activity.
(5) A scoring guide for the quote explication activity.
(6) An essay planner that includes a choice of three discussion prompts and a graphic organizer students can complete prior to writing a five-paragraph essay.
(7) A list of guidelines for writing literary analysis essays that students can use throughout the writing process.
(8) A scoring rubric for the literary analysis essay.
(9) Two versions of an objective reading quiz that focuses on the novel’s chronology and characters.
(10) Answer keys for the two versions of the objective reading quiz.
(11) An annotated list of websites that provide reliable information related to Wharton and The Age of Innocence.
Every item I have listed is a resource that I am currently using in my own classroom with my own students—not a commercially developed product. I love sharing my materials and hope that you will enjoy using them with your students as well!