Get 11 volumes of Primary Sources and Songs to enhance your United & Divided lessons at a money-saving price. Bundle Pack includes lesson plans, activities, printables and recordings of Primary Source narratives and 31 Primary Source songs. Units covered:
A Self-Sufficient and Independent People
Forming a Government
The Industrial Revolution
Children in the Workplace
Waterways, Lifelines of the Nation
The Abolition Movement
Secession of the South
The Winds of War
The Emancipation Proclamation
Preservasion of the Union
Each unit contains:
1. An introduction to the historical event
2. Student lesson guide to map known and need-to-know information
3. An excerpted primary source comment on the event
4. An orchestrated song from the period with printed lyric
5. “In Your Own Words” comprehension check
6. Vocabulary worksheet—to increase historical vocabulary
7. Answer key—for vocabulary study
8. Mapping assignment—to place event in geographic context
9. Timeline Information—to place event in historical context
10. Non-fiction/fiction reading suggestions tied to the lesson
11. Suggestions for discussion, presentation, reports, projects, etc.
Listed Common Core Standards that the unit addresses Primary Sources and Songs meets Common Core Standards in U.S. History through engaging first person accounts of major historical events coupled with an authentically orchestrated song of the period.
Using short excerpts from letters, journal entries, newspaper accounts or other primary sources, Primary Sources and Songs brings each topic to life for the study of American History in the fourth through eighth grades. These short excerpts are especially beneficial to ESL students, reluctant readers, special ed students and students just learning to use primary source materials. By choosing from the menu of activities, teachers can cover the lesson in as little as an afternoon or delve in and create an extended unit.
Songs can easily be dramatized and used for presentations and performances. A recording with orchestration only is included for performances.
Songs included are:
Green Corn, America (My Country 'tis of Thee), Peg and Awl, Four Pence a Day, The Star Spangled Banner, The Erie Canal, Follow the Drinkin' Gourd, Lincoln and Liberty, Bonnie Blue Flag, Eating Goober Peas, Just Before the Battle-Mother, Slavery Chain Done Broke at Last, The Victory Song of Freedom.
Please take a tour of our store, Music to the Core, for additional engaging and powerful learning materials and don't forget to tell your friends and co-workers.