Also included in
- STEM Explorers Bundle - Global Engineering ChallengesPack your bags and take your students on a voyage of STEM challenges that incorporate the engineering design process with themed activities from countries around the world. This STEM curriculum includes activities that travel to each continent and$22.40$28.00Save $5.60
Go on a thrilling ride with this complete lesson! Read the letter from fictitious travel guides explaining the invention of the roller coaster in the United States. Students will first learn about different forms of energy, including potential and kinetic, with a detailed demonstration along with learning about the science involved in riding a roller coaster. Then, using the engineering design process, student teams are tasked with designing a roller coaster to get a ball into a cup! Students also learn about the STEM careers of structural engineering and neuroscience to bring in a real-world STEM connection. Related math problems extend the learning fun!
As with many STEM activities that are student-driven, this challenge can be tailored to students of various skill levels and abilities.
Included in this product:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Grading rubric for the engineering design process
- STEM Career Connections
- Science demonstration instructions
- Student handouts to guide them through the engineering design process
- Math extension problems
Required Materials for Challenge: Paper/plastic cups, tape, foil, cardstock/standard paper, scissors, paper plates, craft sticks, and a small ball.
Looking for more STEM lessons? Find the Vivify resource guide here: bit.ly/VivifyResourceGuide
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or after school program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥