"Upon the Burning of Our House" by Anne Bradstreet
"Upon the Burning of Our House" lesson contains the following:
- Step-by-step instructions
- A clean copy of the poem with comprehension, vocabulary, and analysis questions
- Imagery Activity/Competition with completed examples
- 15 question quiz in 2 versions to deter cheaters - answer key inlcuded. The quizzes are in an editable PowerPoint in case you wish to make any changes.
This lesson requires students to think critically and work collarboratively. They will discuss, share, draw, and paraphrase.
Times will vary depending on what the students do in and out of class. This lesson can take up 2 class periods if you do all of the enclosed activities.
If you want to teach this poem in conjunction with "Huswifery" by Edward Taylor, see here: Puritan Poetry
- If you buy this unit, you will not need "Upon the Burning of Our House" on this page because it is included. The only difference is that the assessment is combined together to make a test on both poems.
After teaching this, you might also enjoy this lesson: Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God Can Be Fun!
If you would like an ENTIRE semester of American literature lessons and activities at your fingertips, visit American Literature Full Semester
for more stress-free planning!