I use these historical, non-fiction readings as supplemental texts while reading the novel, "Uprising," by Margaret Peterson Haddix.
Seven Close Reading Articles and Questions aligned with the ELA Common Core Reading Informational Text Standards.
Each article includes a 2-page article (passage), instructions for annotating the article, and questions aligned to the ELA Common Core Standards.
1. Italian Immigration during the Turn of the Century
2. European Jewish Immigration during the Turn of the Century
3. Immigrant Life in America at the Turn of the Century
4. Working Life of an immigrant at the Turn of the Century
5. Uprising of the 20,000 - Garment Workers Strike of 1909
6. Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire
7 Aftermath of the Fire