This file contains three items:
• A Smart Notebook file that will help you teach students to write equations of line in the y=mx+b form.
• A pdf file that has four 6 by 6 graphs for students to record their participation with slides 5-8
• A pdf file with a full set of directions on how to use the Smart Notebook file
If you do not have a Smartboard, but you do have a Promethean board or a projector attached to your computer, you can still use this product by using the web version of smart notebook which is available at http://express.smarttech.com .
The Smart Notebook file has eight slides:
• Slides 2 and 3 are a Do Now activity. On slide 2 students match four equations with their corresponding graphs. On slide 3 match the slopes of graphed lines with four given slopes.
• Slide 4 is a summary slide for the general form y = mx + b. You can add your own definitions for m and b.
• Slides 5 and 6 ask students to write an equation for a line. On slide 5 students are given a point that the line must pass through and a slope. From this information students must find the equation. The slide is designed to be interactive. On the graph you can locate the given point and then mark off the slope from that point. As you add a second point you will know the y-intercept for the line and you can write the equation. On slide 6 you are given two points that the line must pass through. Again this is an interactive slide. Move the points onto the graph and then draw the line. As you draw the line you will be able to determine the y-intercept from the graph. You can also calculate the slope on the slide.
• The next two slides are practice slides for the students to complete. After the students finish their work you can complete the problem on the board.
• The lesson closes with two application problems.