1. This two-page handout provides a simple chart for students to use in the editing stage as they determine whether words are singular, singular possessive, plural, or plural possessive. (An answer key is included.)
2. On a white board, overhead, or SmartBoard, show the first page of the handout and review rules for using apostrophes in possessive nouns. Four simple rules are written at the top of the handout.
3. With students' help, complete the chart.
4. Students may suggest nouns to add to the chart, or you may add possessive nouns that have given students difficulty in their writing.
5. As students edit their papers, require them to use this chart to determine the placement of apostrophes in possessive nouns.
6. Since practice really does make perfect, requiring your students to use the chart regularly is the key to learning to use apostrophes correctly in possessive nouns. Make the chart an editing requirement.