This worksheet comes in 3 different levels (for advanced students, on-level students and low-level students). A key for each version is also provided for the teacher.
This worksheet leads students through a variety of steps:
1) finding chemical symbols for elements and writing the name of the element when given the symbol (by referring to the periodic table of elements)
2) recognizing that compounds are simply two or more chemical elements that have been combined
3) identifying the number of atoms of each element present in a chemical compound
4) writing the chemical formula of a compound when given the number of atoms of each element
5) taking a chemical reaction in word form and converting it to a chemical equation with symbols, + and yields
6) advanced version: takes students into more challenging examples of identifying the number of atoms in each compound, including the use of subscripts inside and outside parentheses
This particular worksheet does NOT go into the use of coefficients to represent the number of molecules of each compound present.