This scavenger hunt for grades 1 - 3 asks students to determine the meaning of words using context clues within the sentence. This product consists of 16 sentence cards in both color and b/w versions. An additional scavenger hunt sheet asking students to decide if the word is a noun or a verb is included. A list of the vocabulary words and other practice pages for the words have also been added.
These activities cover several CCSS and TEKS.
1. Print the Using Context Clues Scavenger Hunt cards on card them cut them apart.
2. Make copies of the Using Context Clues Scavenger Hunt questions worksheet. Each student needs a copy.
3. Place the Using Context Clues Scavenger Hunt cards around your classroom where students will be able to find them. You can put them on chairs, on the computer keyboard, on the back of your classroom door, on the sides of student desks, on the chalkboard, or wherever you like.
4. Students have to search the room and find all of the sentence cards to answer the questions. You can differentiate by having students work alone or with a classmate.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.R1.1.4 Ask and answer questions to help determine or clarify the meaning of words or phrases in text.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.R1.2.4 Determine the meaning
of words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 2 topic or subject.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.2.4.c Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary
TEKS Grade 1 6C Determine what words mean from how they are used in a sentence.
TEKS Grade 2 5B Use context to determine relevant meaning of unfamiliar or multiple meaning words.
TEKS Grade 3 4B Use context to determine relevant meaning of unfamiliar or multiple meaning words and homographs.
More About the Product
With the Scavenger Hunt game I have the students complete it as part of a rotation during reading groups. I only have 4 or 5 students walking around with clipboards to locate the sentence cards and write their answers. Students needing extra support can be paired with a partner for this activity.
This product allows you to use the scavenger hunt cards in 2 different ways. It also includes reinforcement activities for the new words.
Table of Contents
• Vocabulary List
• 16 Scavenger Hunt Cards in both color and ink-saving blackline
• Scavenger Hunt Question Sheets for students for using context and for identifying new words as nouns or verbs
• Additional practice pages; 2 fill in the blank pages that use the words in context and a crossword puzzle
• answer keys
You May also Like
Context Clues Scavenger Hunt
Context Clues Scavenger Hunt Bundle
Context Clues Lesson: Diamonds or Coal - Freebie!
Tips for Customers
• Follow my store for product updates and sales.
• Follow my Facebook page to find occasional flash freebies and ½ price sales on new products here
• Please leave feedback to gain credit for future purchases.
• Contact me through Product Q&A with any questions, concerns, or problems.
Ann Fausnight ♥