This packet is designed to provide students practice with effectively using headings and subheadings to predict and categorize information and formulate questions while reading nonfiction texts (aligned with Virginia SOL 4.6, but applicable to any classroom). These materials are great to use with guided reading groups or as classwork, homework, or review after a whole-class lesson has been taught.
Included are the following materials:
• Heading & Subheading Posters/Word Wall Cards (in color and printer-friendly version)
• Making Predictions with Headings Worksheet: students use their own texts to predict what information will follow a heading
• Turning Headings into Questions Worksheet: students use their own texts to practice turning headings into questions
• Headings & Subheadings Worksheet: students use the example provided to make predictions and formulate questions
• Making Predictions with Subheadings Worksheet: students use their own texts to predict what information will follow a subheading
• Turning Subheadings into Questions Worksheet: students use their own texts to practice turning subheadings into questions
• Original “Alpine Skiing” Article & Using Subheadings to Locate Information Worksheet: students use the article to predict where they’ll find certain information (a blank version of the worksheet is also included that you can use with other nonfiction texts)
• Writing Headings Worksheet: students read three excerpts and come up with their own headings
• Headings & Sentences Sort: students match headings to corresponding sentences (a sheet is also provided for students to glue their sorting cards when finished)
• Headings & Sentences Mini Anchor Chart: students can glue this in their interactive notebooks or you can enlarge and display it in your classroom
Partial answer keys are included.
Please check out the preview to see more!
Thanks for visiting my store!
To see more ELA resources, please click here!