There are so many possibilities when using poetry in your classroom. Poetry gets a particular spotlight during the month of April for National Poetry Month, but there are so many benefits to using it in your classroom year round.
- Student writers find this genre less intimidating
- Students can:
- interpret poems differently leading to meaningful discussions
- identify common themes & make inferences
- practice annotating text
- practice using various types of figurative language
Use this product alone or alongside any poetry unit.
This product includes:
- Teaching suggestions
- Song lyrics to analyze
- Teacher song lyric page with possible annotations
- Link where you can listen to the song online
- Sample Poems
- A list of mentor text suggestions
Use this product to help with these possible teaching objectives:
- Analyze how authors choose words to create images and portray a mood.
- Analyze how song lyrics are poetry.
- Identify figurative language and how poets/songwriters use these devices to write.
- Identify themes within poetry.
- Write poems using various poetic devices.