Products in this Bundle (3)
*Included New ELA TEKS
Great ways to use this product - Teacher Appraisal System, Sub Plans, Lesson Plan
I based this mini-lesson off the common core standard RI3.5 and RI3.7. I have always honed in on having the students identify text features, but when I went back and reread the standard I realized that it said use in both standards. Just identifying text features it not rigorous enough.
So, this spurred me to create a mini-lesson based on not just locating text features but being able to use them to build comprehension.
Included in this packet are 67 slides that you can use with your students. I included a slide for the following;
- Common Core Standard
- Vocabulary Words
- Essential Question
- I Can Statement
- I Will Statement
- Interactive Notebook Anchor Chart
- Reading Comprehension Bookmark
- Text & Side Bar Mini-Lesson (I Do, We Do, You Do)
- Highlighted Words & Bullets Mini-Lesson (I Do, We Do, You Do)
- Bar & Line Graph Mini-Lesson (I Do, We Do, You Do)
- Diagram & Labels Mini-Lesson (I Do, We Do, You Do)
- Title & Table of Contents Mini-Lesson (I Do, We Do, You Do)
- Words in Italics & Bold Print Mini-Lesson (I Do, We Do, You Do)
- Photographs & Captions Mini-Lesson (I Do, We Do, You Do)
- Glossary & Index Mini-Lesson (I Do, We Do, You Do)
- Maps & Timelines Mini-Lesson (I Do, We Do, You Do)
- Illustration Mini-Lesson (I Do, We Do, You Do)
- Underline Word Mini-Lesson (I Do, We Do, You Do)
- Heading & Subheading Mini-Lesson (I Do, We Do, You Do)
If you have never downloaded one of my PPT mini-lessons you will be surprised at how easy they are to use. I will spend probably two weeks using these slides. They are great for pacing and keeping me on track when distractions arise. Plus I'm not having to pull up a lesson plan and read it.
I created this resource packet to go with the mini-lessons I created regarding the use of text features to locate information which builds comprehension.
In an effort to build rigor with my third graders, I wanted to create a full lesson plan.
Included in this packet are the following:
- Pre-Assessment (Quizizz quiz that I created and you can print out to assess your students to see where to begin your lesson on text features)
- Anticipatory Sets:
**Mini-KWL Charts for their Interactive Notebooks (Writing to Learn)
**Match Game (they match the text feature with its definition)
**Black-Out (BINGO game where they earn points for locating different text features)
**Discussion Cards (Inquiry is the BEST way to build comprehension)
Reflection Forms - to be used at the end of each lesson
**DLIQ (What we Did, What I Learned, What was Interesting, Questions I Still Have)
**NEW Reflection (Something NEW I Learned, I ENJOYED, I'm still WONDERING)
**BLT (Best part of the lesson, Something I Learned, I'm Still Thinking About...)
**Rubric created for you to grade the students while they are engaged in your mini-lesson and group work. They will also be assessed on the "I Can" statement.
**Text Feature Reading Comprehension Passage & Questions - given to assess the students on their understanding of the TEKS and/or common-core standard for text features.
As you can already see, there are several grades that can be taken in this packet. I wanted to give the students a daily assessment to check their understanding, but didn't want to give a daily "quiz" which is why I created the formative assessment.
The summative assessment has open-ended questions, multiple-choice, and True/False. I tried to mix it up a little to build rigor.
I created these posters to go along with the Mini-Lessons that I created for text features.
On these posters, I included visual images for your ELL's. One common word that I noticed in the TEKS and common-core standards was the word use text features. Students are not to just be identifying text features, but they need to be able to use them in order to build comprehension.
These posters will help your students identify the name and visual image of the student feature which will enable them to locate that text feature in their text.
I hope you enjoy these posters and find them useful as a supplemental tool for your lesson on text features.
Here are some other resources that are available in my store. Check them out!
Thanks for looking! ~ Whitney