This Common Core aligned lesson is designed to help students build knowledge about when to use commas, ellipses, and dashes to indicate a pause or break plus how to use an ellipsis to indicate an omission. The lesson can be taught in one of three ways. One way is for you or a substitute to teach this lesson in one to two class periods. A second way is for you to divide the days that have two pages and teach each page as a bell ringer on a separate day so the lesson will last for eight or nine days. The third way is the way I planned the lesson to be taught which is as mini-lessons every day for a week. This allows students to absorb the concept and use it in several ways over a longer time period. In this way, the knowledge should stay with them. I intended these activities to be used first thing in class every day as a bell-ringer activity. They are straight-forward and simple so that students can absorb the basic concepts easily.
This lesson contains:
• All teacher instructions
• A handout and worksheet on using commas and dashes as a pause with KEY
• A handout and worksheet on using ellipsis as a pause and with an omission with KEY
• A short answer worksheet on definitions and using commas, dashes, and ellipsis with KEY
• A worksheet on rewriting paragraphs and sentences using commas, dashes, and ellipsis with KEY
• An objective quiz on commas, dashes and ellipsis with KEY
Have fun with this direct approach to teaching this punctuation.
Check out my store for several other A Week of Bell Ringer lessons.
This lesson is also in a Bundle. Find it in my store under Trimester Two.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.2a Use punctuation (comma, ellipsis, dash) to indicate a pause or break.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.2b Use an ellipsis to indicate an omission.