The newspaper is a great place to find non-fiction pieces of writing for common core. You can use this document for small group books, extension, or to help all students with non-fiction text. Included in this download are tons of resources and ideas to help your kids. Here is a list of the activities included:
Here is a review from Ashley Dudeck who recently purchased...
"Such a fun activity!!"
Title Page, Credits, Contents
24 Task cards for students to find information in the newspaper
- Student directions
- Nouns/Verbs Hunt throughout the newspaper (students will cut out examples from the newspaper and paste on these pages.
- Common Noun/Proper Noun Hunt
- Present Tense/Past Tense Hunt
- Adverbs/Adjectives Hunt
- Exclamations/Questions Hunt
- Words that end in __ed/__ies Hunt
- 2 syllable words & alphabetize
- 3 syllable words & alphabetize
- Main Idea & Detail (use an article to find main idea/idea)
Main Idea continued – Write a summary
– Opinion Article Activity
– Proper Nouns
– Look for advertisements
– Persuasive writing con
– Synonym Hunt
– Antonym Hunt
– What questions created by kids (students generate questions from the newspaper that begin with What)
– Who questions created by kids
– When questions created by kids
– Where questions created by kids
– How questions created by kids
--12 writing prompts that use the newspaper to provide a response
Thank you so much for viewing this product. I hope it helps you implement more non-fiction reading/writing into your classroom for common core. Please email me if you have any questions before or after purchasing.
Here is a link to my blog, I'd love for you to check it out!
My Blog - Innovative To The Core
©S. Oberheide, 2013.