These resources are based on the Virginia Standards of Learning 2.4
• Christopher Columbus: He led the way for European exploration and colonization of the Americas.
• Benjamin Franklin: He proved that electricity was present in lightning through his kite experiment. He started the first library and the first volunteer fire department in America.
• Abraham Lincoln: He was the president of the United States who helped to free African American slaves.
• George Washington Carver: He was an African American man who studied science and plants. He became a teacher. He developed hundreds of uses for peanuts, sweet potatoes, and soybeans.
• Helen Keller: She overcame her disabilities and worked to help others who were blind and deaf.
• Thurgood Marshall: He was a lawyer who defended people at a time when not all people had equal rights. He was the first African American justice of the United States Supreme Court.
• Rosa Parks: She was an African American woman who refused to give up her seat on a public bus, as was required by law many years ago. She helped to bring about changes in laws and worked so that all people would have equal rights.
• Jackie Robinson: He was the first African American player in the major league of baseball. His actions helped to bring about other opportunities for African Americans.
• Cesar Chavez: He was a Mexican American leader who worked to improve conditions for farm workers.
• Martin Luther King, Jr.: He was an African American minister who worked so that all people would be treated fairly. He led peaceful marches and gave speeches.
Although it is based on VA SOLS, the activities will fit into other state's standards.
Included in the set are:
Portrait with year of birth and death for each famous American.
-Reading Strategy Anchor Chart referring to what each famous American is most famous for - Somebody (Who), Wanted (What), Because (Why), But (Problem), So (Solution), Then (Ending)
Anchor Charts can be printed as larger posters. Printing directions are included in document.
Please leave feedback to earn TPT credits.