This is an eight day unit that begins with a review of VA Science SOL K.5, and then builds upon that knowledge to teach SOL 1.1 and 1.3. The presentation of the properties of water and how it interacts with common materials on sequential days will provide motivation and interest for learners.
This unit includes plans and worksheets to teach these topics through the use of many experiments brings the material to a concrete level that students can see and understand. The use of daily predictions teaches students how to draw conclusions from what they already know about water and use them to make predictions about what will happen with the next interaction of water. Teaching this material in a sequential unit also allows for students to build their skills with experimentation and scientific inquiry. Student interaction and involvement in the experiments was increased each day from just watching, to assisting me, until finally students were able to successfully perform an experiment on their own in groups.
*** This zip file includes plans for an 8 day unit which includes pre/post test days, the plans include instructions and materials lists for the experiments used to teach these concepts about water. The file also includes SMART Notebook files to use in combination with the lessons plans and the worksheets and plans mentioned in the plans.
• Students will describe and apply the term dissolve.
• Students will make predictions and conduct experiments to answer questions about water and how it reacts with common substances.
• Students will recognize that water flows from areas of higher elevation to lower.
• Students will classify liquids and solids into those that will dissolve in water and those that will not.
• Students will use charts to record experiment data.
• Students will infer that some substances will dissolve more easily in hot water then in cold water by conducting experiments.
• Students will build their skills in order to conduct simple experiments on their own.
• Students will recognize that some solids float in water and some sink.