Also included in
- lisp and vocalic r bundle for speech therapy! Articulation therapy intervention for SLPs: frontal lisp, lateral lisp, and vocalic r (r articulation)What's included in this speech therapy articulation bundle?Correct that lisp with my lisp remediation (s articulation) packet! Lisp Speech Therapy packePrice $29.50Original Price $34.75Save $5.25
vocalic r and prevocalic r (r articulation) articulation therapy packet for speech and language therapy
This product is included in the Lisp and Vocalic R Articulation Therapy Bundle
Watch this Vocalic R video for a detailed explanation of this packet
A few years ago, I took Sandra Holtzman’s Orofacial Myology: From Basics to Habituation CEU course. Prior to the course, I didn’t know much about Orofacial Myology. That course was a game-changer for me: not only when it came to treating lisps, but also when it came to correcting an /r/. I can’t even begin to tell you how many /r/ students I have on my caseload- and it’s amazing to have a structured approach to rely on that WORKS. Please note that this packet is a stand alone packet that contains foundational information as well as some lingual and labial strength and coordination exercises from phase 1 that I learned during this course. As a follow-up to that knowledge, I took Sandra’s “R: Techniques and Interventions to Correct R” course.
Please note that you can save money when you purchase the R Articulation and Lisp Remediation Bundle.
You can access that r articulation course on Northern Speech Services by clicking here:
I created this packet in order to have speech therapy materials to use with the knowledge I gained from her r articulation course. I recommend taking that course and using the “Myo Manual” by Sandra Holtzman with this packet.
Please visit the following website to learn more information: www.orofacialmyology.com
This packet has been reviewed by Sandra and is shared with her permission.
If you are not having much luck with the traditional articulation approach, you might find this packet beneficial when correcting the following articulation errors:
prevocalic r (initial r)
What's included in this vocalic r packet?
(1) Student Success Factors: this is a handout for the SLP that includes a checklist of considerations that should be assessed prior to beginning therapy (i.e. high/ narrow palate, ankyloglossia or “tongue-tie”, enlarged tonsils, etc.)
(1) Pirate Plan: this is a handout for students that provides a “therapy” game plan and student goals.
(1) Pirate Prep: this is a handout for students that explains the correct lingual posture at rest.
"Pirate Level One": Level 1 worksheets utilize orofacial myology basic exercises in order to build a solid foundation for the /r/ sound. The purpose of these lingual exercises is to improve shaping skills, coordination, and speed within the oral cavity. (Reference: Sandra Holtzman, www.orofacialmyology.com)
(4) Tongue Exercises Worksheets: improve shaping skills, coordination, and speed with the carefully selected lingual exercises on these pages. While learning these skills, strive to eliminate lip rounding.
(2) Sound Practice Prep Pages: print out and laminate or stick the dough activity mat in a sheet protector. These worksheets can be used as an interactive method of showing placement of the tongue during the production of vocalic /er/.
Before moving on to the next level (Pirate Level 2: First Mate), your student must demonstrate he can easily change the shape of his tongue, and is able to move his tongue without moving his lips or mandible (lingual-mandibular differentiation).
Pirate Level 2 Activities: First Mate
Level 2 worksheets build a solid foundation for production of vocalic /er/. We’re only working on the vocalic /er/ sound in isolation at this level. Why? Every correctly articulated r has an “ER” in it (er...ed= red, ka...er= car), so this is our foundational starting point. (Reference: Sandra Holtzman, www.orofacialmyology.com)
(20) “ER” Worksheets: I’ve included worksheets that provide you with (3) options for producing an /er/ sound. In addition, I’ve provided you with open-ended worksheets, just in case you already have a favorite method for eliciting /er/. My absolute favorite, go-to method is “option a”, but use whichever worksheets you’re comfortable with! The important thing is that you get RESULTS and eliminate lip rounding. Options A, B, and C all provide you with 5 worksheets that target eliciting vocalic /er/ in isolation. These worksheets focus on the positioning of the tongue up and back, against the inner sides of the teeth. Visuals are provided to assist with these techniques. These methods build on the exercises completed in level 1. In addition, 5 open-ended “ER” worksheets are included, which allows you to elicit
/er/ using any method of your choosing. There are a total of 20 “ER” worksheets.
(1) “Even More” Sound Practice Worksheet: after your student has the basics down for producing vocalic /er/, challenge him a little more. He’ll practice varying the length and even try singing along to his favorite song using ONLY the vocalic /er/ sound. Rapid reps are importantl
(1) 100 ER’s! Page: That’s right- your student needs to produce 100 correct vocalic /er/’s before moving on to the next level. Keep track with this handout.
Pirate Level 3: Captain Activities
Level 3 worksheets build on the production of /er/. Your student should only move to this level once he���s produced 100 perfect vocalic /er/ sounds in isolation. Now, he’ll start to use /er/ in words. We begin with one verrrry specific target word which allows us to keep our tongue in the /er/ position (her), then target nonsense words, then we’ll get to the real deal in the next step. (Reference: Sandra Holtzman, www.orofacialmyology.com)
(3) “HER” Worksheets: These worksheets start with production of vocalic /er/ in the word “her”, since the tongue does NOT need to move for production of the /h/. In addition, it allows the student to practice a prolonged final vocalic /er/.
(3) Bilabial & “ER” Worksheets: Because the tongue does NOT need to move to produce these nonsense word combinations, we’ll move on to these worksheets next. These worksheets build on the foundational skills learned earlier (such as being able to move lips without moving the tongue)!
(3) Labiodentals & “ER” Worksheets: Third, you’ll focus on labiodentals, and your student will work hard to make sure he’s only moving his lips, and not his tongue!
(3) Lingual Alveolars & “ER” Worksheets: Fourth, you’ll challenge your student a little more. These worksheets build on foundational skills learned in level 1, as your student will need to demonstrate the ability to produce the /er/ in a nonsense word that also requires coordinated movement to the alveolar ridge.
(18) Pirate Level 3 Word Practice Worksheets targeting a variety of other sounds/ blends: these worksheets allow your student to produce /er/ in targets in a carefully selected hierarchy (includes /s/, /z/, /l/+ /g/, /k/+ /y/, /w/+/ch,/, /dz/, /sh/, /zh/+ s-blends: sp, st, sk, sl, + l-blends: bl, fl, kl, gl)
(All nonsense word practice worksheets are labeled as “Word practice #1-10”. Once you see #11, the focus will be real words! Don’t rush things. Make sure your student is truly ready to move on to the next level before doing so!)
Okay, great. Now, we start practicing the /er/ sound in REAL words. Yay! We’re going to build on the “sound families” we practiced previously (nonsense words), and use co-articulation and prolongation strategies to elicit our target. By now, your student has mastered basic lingual skills (covered in the Pirate Level One) and has produced /er/ from all consonant combinations. Your student will practice words and sentences at this level. These words and sentences have been carefully selected, as they do not contain other /r/ words. You may find it helpful to start with words, then review and add sentences. The goal will be to prolong the beginning consonant+er, then practice the word. Each consonant/ blend + er target includes (1) activity worksheet and 6 articulation cards. (Reference: Sandra Holtzman, www.orofacialmyology.com).
All co-articulation word practice worksheets are labeled as “Word practice #11-20”.
Once you see #21, the focus will move on to the other vocalic
/r/ words, in a specified hierarchy (from easiest to most difficult).! Don’t rush things. Make sure your student is truly ready to move on to the next level before doing so! After finishing all worksheets, you may find completing carryover articulation tasks helpful.
Bilabial & “ER” (1 activity worksheet + 6 flashcards): Because the tongue does NOT need to move to produce these nonsense word combinations, we’ll move on to these worksheets next. These worksheets build on the foundational skills learned earlier (such as being able to move lips without moving the tongue)!
Labiodentals & “ER” Worksheets (1 activity worksheet + 6 flashcards): Third, you’ll focus on labiodentals, and your student will work hard to make sure he’s only moving his lips, and not his tongue!
Lingual Alveolars & “ER” (1 activity worksheet + 6 flashcards): Fourth, you’ll challenge your student a little more. These worksheets build on foundational skills learned in level 1, as your student will need to demonstrate the ability to produce the /er/ in a nonsense word that also requires coordinated movement to the alveolar ridge.
Remaining consonants (includes /s/, /z/, /l/, /g/, /k/, /y/, /w/,/ch,/, /dz/, /sh/, and /zh/) & blends (includes s-blends, and r-blends): these allow your student to produce /er/ within a carefully selected hierarchy (includes /s/, /z/, /l/, /g/, /k/, /y/, /w/,/ch,/, /dz/, /sh/, /zh/, s-blends, and r-blends). Includes a worksheet and flashcard set (6 targets) for each consonant, and (1) worksheet and (1) set of articulation cards for each blend set.
(5) Worksheets that target vocalic /r/ sounds (/ire/, /ear/, /air/, /ar/ and /or/). Each worksheet builds on production of a targeted vowel + “ER” sound
(2) Sentence Practice Worksheets: one worksheet targets creating sentences with alike vowels (i.e. two “ear” words), while the second worksheet targets creating sentences with different vowel combinations (i.e. /or/ + /ar/)
(2) Challenging Combinations Worksheets: the focus of these worksheets is rapid repetition of /or/ and /ar/ words
Vocalic /rl/ elicitation page: practice vocalic /rl/ by blending vocalic /er/ + the /l/ phoneme
(1) Groundwork for /r/ page: this worksheet is optional, but provides a means of eliciting /r/ in the initial position from a vocalic /er/ for the student who requires additional practice
Students who may benefit include
students receiving speech and language therapy
elementary or middle school students
Need a closer look at this packet? Click on the green "preview" button to see more!
Let's keep in touch! You can find me...
☞on Instagram (@thepedispeechie) @thepedispeechie
Do you like DISCOUNTS and FREEBIES? I discount new products for the first 24 hours
→Find the green star next to my logo in the top right corner of this page
→ Click that star and you will become a follower of my store
→You will be notified whenever I upload a new product!
→In addition, I choose monthly feedback winners. This will be announced to followers via your TPT inbox!
Best-selling speech therapy and special education resources you won’t want to miss:
More preschool and elementary speech therapy resources:
Key Words: articulation therapy, vocalic r, vocalic /r/, prevocalic /r/, r articulation, /r/ articulation, orofacial myology, Sandra Holtzman, speech therapy activities, speech therapy ideas for language, speech and language activities, articulation
Copyright © The Pedi Speechie. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this document are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY. If this product is displayed on social media, link back to me.