This non-fiction book study unit is complete with page by page LESSON PLAN suggestions, student DISCUSSION QUESTIONS, MULTIPLE CHOICE TESTS and Student ACTIVITIES for integrating Reading/Language Arts with Science and Social Studies. Originally used by Academically Gifted fourth and fifth grade students, it is appropriate for Grades 4, 5, 6 and homeschoolers; and is an excellent springboard into a unit on Plate Tectonics!
The lesson suggestions and multiple choice tests teach, reinforce, and assess mastery of strategies/skills for the comprehension of informational text; and align with the Common Core Literacy Standards for Informational Text by specifically targeting:
1. Main idea/topic sentence with supporting details
2. Context Clues, Drawing Conclusions, Inference
3. Metacognitive strategies: Visualizing, Connecting, Questioning, Evaluating, Summarizing, etc.
5. Graphic Organizers: tables, maps
6. Science Connections: States of Matter, Pressure, Agents of Change, Food Chains, Co-habitation, Interdependence, Life Cycles, Plate Tectonics
The student ACTIVITIES are designed for a variety of learning styles and are on-going. Students keep their work in a folder or portfolio, to be submitted when the unit is completed. Some activities could be group bulletin board displays or project boards for homeschoolers. A Portfolio Contents sheet is provided to help students to organize their work.
This non-fiction book study was created by Janice Zmuda for Patricia Lauber's book: "VOLCANO, The Eruption and Healing of Mount St. Helens." It can be downloaded from Jan Z's Study Units on the TpT website.
VOLCANO by Patricia Lauber Non-fiction Book Study
by Janice Zmuda
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License