Use research, writing, and math skills to explore a U.S. National Park!
Students choose and research a United States National park, then plan a family vacation to the park.
Students use documents to record information:
• Research sights and activities at the park
• List basic information about the park
• Summarize the history of the park and why they want to visit the park
• Use information about climate and weather to decide on travel dates
• Create a spreadsheet and figure costs for travel, lodging, meals, fees, and souvenirs
• Choose to create a journal about the “trip” or a brochure about the park
Includes seven activities and a grading rubric.
The zip file includes PDF and Word documents.
This project addresses CCSS writing standards, math standards, and 21st Century Skills
CCSS: W2, W4, W6, W7, W8
Iowa Reading Standard: IA1
21st Century Skills:
Model the process of financial planning based on personal prioritization of wants and needs. (21.6-8.FL.1)
Create an effective spending plan using informed decision-making skills. (21.6-8.FL.2)
Plan strategies utilizing digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information. (21.6-8.TL.3)
Use critical thinking skills to conduct research, solve problems, and make informed decisions using appropriate technological tools and resources. (21.6-8.TL.4)