Kindergarten Math and Literacy Centers (Heart Theme)
Print centers on cardstock and laminate for durability.
1. Number Puzzles 0-30- Cut each puzzle into 4 pieces. Numbers 20-30 are included for enrichment. Students will put together the four pieces of the puzzle for each number by matching each numeral to the correct number word, ten grid, and base ten block set.
MCCK.CC.4 Understand the relationship between numbers and quantities; connect counting to cardinality.
MCCK.NBT.1 Compose and decompose numbers from 11 to 19 into ten ones and some further ones, e.g., by using objects or drawings, and record each composition or decomposition by a drawing or equation (e.g., 18 = 10 + 8); understand that these numbers are composed of ten ones and one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine ones.
2. Missing Numbers in a Sequence- There are fifteen sets of number sequences that have a missing number either in the first number, the second number, or the last number. Ex: ____ 9 10, 8 ____ 10, 8 9 ____. The students will use the number cards to fill in the missing number in each sequence. (Sequences for numbers 20-30 have been added for enrichment.
MCCK.CC.4 Understand the relationship between numbers and quantities; connect counting to cardinality. c. Understand that each successive number name refers to a quantity that is one larger.
3. Patterns- For each of the twelve patterns, the students have to identify the pattern and extend it using the correct objects in the pattern sequence.
4. Days of the Week and Months of the Year- The days of the week and months of the year strips can be cut apart and used in two centers to reinforce the days of the week and months of the year. The students put each in the correct sequence. After they put them in the correct sequence, I have my students write the days and months in order.
5. Positional Words- Students match each picture with the correct positional word.
MCCK.G.1 Describe objects in the environment and describe the relative positions of these objects using terms such as above, below, beside, in front of, behind, and next to.
1. Missing Vowels- For each CVC word, fill in the correct missing vowel.
ELACCKRF2: Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes). d. Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme (consonant-vowel-consonant, or CVC) words.
2. Sight Word Sentences- Cut apart each of the sentences. Each group of same color hearts creates a sentence including punctuation. Students will arrange each of the same color hearts into sentences that make sense.
ELACCKRF3: Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words. c. Read common high-frequency words by sight. (e.g., the, of, to, you, she, my, is, are, do, does).
ELACCKL2: Demonstrate command of the conventions of Standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
a. Capitalize the first word in a sentence and the pronoun I.
b. Recognize and name end punctuation.
3. Rhyming Word Families- For each picture card, place all of the words that share the same word family as the picture.
ELACCKRF3: Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.