Looking for some Valentine's Day activities that incorporate science, technology, engineering, and math? STEM challenges to the rescue!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build Valentine’s Day themed objects. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
This bundle saves you 40% off the cost of buying each challenge separately. What a bargain! ☺
There are five or eight STEM design challenge events included in this bundle, depending on how you look at it:
1. Valentine’s Day STEM Challenge: “Heavy” Hearts (2nd – 8th)
2. Valentine’s Day STEM Challenge: Cards in the Clouds (2nd – 8th)
3. Valentine’s Day STEM Challenge: Candy / Confection Container (2nd – 8th)
4. Valentine’s Day STEM Challenge: Cupid’s Quiver (2nd – 8th)
5. Valentine’s Day STEM Challenge: Flower Frenzy (2nd – 8th)
Flower Frenzy is contains four flower mini-challenges:
– Floating Flowers
– Fluff & Flatten Flowers
– Functional Flowers
– Firmly Fixed Flowers
NOTE: You can save even more by purchasing this bundle as part of the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE!!!
Multiple iterations are recommended to get the most student benefit, but these can also be treated as one-off activities.
Benefits of STEM Design Challenges:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for at least 60 min. Again, I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above.
• Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
• NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
• Teacher Tips
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Premise & Set-up
- Materials and timing
- Modifying Criteria & Constraints to adjust challenge difficulty
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Universal STEM Challenge Tips/how to use the handouts
- Challenge-specific video walk-throughs will be posted/linked prior to Valentine’s Day, 2017 (Cupid’s Quiver: Jan. 19; “Heavy” Hearts: Han. 26; Candy/Confection Container: Feb. 2; Flower Frenzy: Feb. 9; Cards in the Clouds: Feb. 12)
• Student Handouts
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable version provided)
- Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included)
- Discussion Questions
• Extension templates
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
- Plus other design-specific handouts (see each individual challenge product description page for more details)
What are teachers saying about this bundle?
“Love this! Super creative, fun, & great for critical thinking. Nice ideas for including other subject areas too. Thanks!”
“Love! Well laid out. Enough wiggle room to adapt to different age groups.”
"As usual this seller does not disappoint! My Gifted & talented groups absolutely love her STEM projects as we have done numerous ones I purchased this year from her! So well organized, so well thought out and the extensions are awesome! I also love the videos I can really see how it will all play out when I do the STEM with my students. Thank you so much! I am buying the St Patrick's bundle today!!"
“Loved these! We had different ones going on all at once and the kids loved it!”
“We used this as a Valentine's Party alternative! The students loved it!”
The downloadable preview shows a few thumbnail images from each challenge. To learn more about what is included with each challenge, click on the challenge link above and download the preview from that product page. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
You might also like these products:
STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE
St. Patrick’s Day STEM Challenge Bundle (2nd – 8th)
Spring/Easter STEM Challenge Bundle (2nd – 8th)
Valentine’s Day Parts of Speech Activity (2nd – 3rd)
Graphing with Skittles Activity (2nd – 3rd)
Analyze and Interpret Data Unit