Valentine's Day is a literacy-based Unit that fosters literacy in Social Studies by teaching 1st-3rd Grade students about the history of Valentine's Day with Nonfiction Informational Text, Original Poetry, and a balanced mix of hands-on engaging activities:
• Complete Valentine's Day History Lesson – we provide all of the CONTENT
• Reading Comprehension using Text Features (multiple choice and short answer)
• Literacy Game: Valentine Match-Up (forming Compound Words) FULL COLOR!
• Valentine Imagery Drawing Activity using descriptions from the Poem: A Little Valentine
• Rhyming Word Puzzle
• Circle Chart and Expository Writing Activity
• Valentine's Day Jigsaw Puzzle – cut and paste drawing and coloring activity
• Valentine's Day Math: THREE Facts to 15 Addition Worksheets of varying levels of difficulty
In addition, students will make and play the game Make the Number to practice Facts to 15 Addition (Great for a Valentine's Day Math Center – all game materials included!)
We've included color versions of the Valentine's Day lessons and poems for your White Board, black and white versions of the lessons, poems, and activities to make copies for your students, and grading rubrics for the higher-level activities.
Download the Valentine's Day Preview to see the complete Table of Contents, Lesson Plans, as well as sample lessons and activities for the unit.
OUR OTHER HOLIDAY RESOURCES:
FREEBIE: BACK TO SCHOOL COORDINATE GRAPHING GRADES 1-3
CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT GRADES 3-5
HALLOWEEN MATH AND LITERACY GRADES 3-5
WINTER HOLIDAY MATH AND LITERACY GRADES 3-5
CHRISTMAS COORDINATE GRAPHING GRADES 3-5
REINDEER COORDINATE GRAPHING GRADES 3-5
BLACK HISTORY COORDINATE GRAPHING BUNDLE GRADES 3-6
ABRAHAM LINCOLN COORDINATE GRAPHING GRADES 3-6
GEORGE WASHINGTON COORDINATE GRAPHING GRADES 3-6
FREEBIE: ST. PATRICK'S DAY COORDINATE GRAPHING GRADES 3-6
Created by Teachers. It Just Makes Sense.
RATING VALENTINES DAY WILL EARN YOU TPT CREDITS TO USE ON FUTURE PURCHASES AND GIVE US A WARM FUZZY FEELING!
(c) 2011-Splash! Publications. Permission is granted to original purchasers to reproduce material as designated only for classroom use. No other part of this work may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without written permission from the publisher, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review.