Over 20 Valentine's Day math and literacy centers that are differentiated to meet the wide range of learners in your classroom.
MATH VALENTINE'S DAY CENTERS
• Deck of Valentine Themed 10-Frame Cards (2 different sets: 1-9 & 1-10 with wild cards)
Use these to play memory, go fish, compare…etc
• Valentine-Themed Making it Big (2-digit and 3-digit versions):
This game strengthens the understanding of place value. Students learn that a 2 in the “ones place” plays a very different role than a 2 in the “tens place” or “hundreds place”. It also asks students to examine a pair of 2 or 3-digit numbers and determine which is greater.
• Valentine-Themed Roll, Build & Write (2-digit and 3-digit versions): A
sks students to roll 2 or 3 dice (representing the hundreds, tens and ones place). Students then build their number with hundreds, tens and ones. Finally, students are asked to represent their picture with a math sentence.
• Valentine-Themed Ten More (Adding 10 to a single digit number and adding 10 to a multiple of 10 versions):
This popular math game asks students to practice mentally adding 10 to a single, 2-digit or 3-digit number.
• Set of 24 Valentine-themed playing cards:
Pairs of cards, one with numbers written numerically, and the other illustrated with hundreds, ten-rods and ones. (Can be used to play memory, war or Go Fish!)
• 2 Place Value Mats (1- Hundreds, Tens and Ones; 2- Tens & Ones)
Can be used to reinforce any activity
• Valentine Bump: 4 versions of this popular dice game
2 dice addition, 3 dice addition, adding doubles, and multiplication
• Fact Family Heart People:
Asks students to select from 60 different fact family heart people cards. Using that fact family, students then write 2 addition sentences and 2 subtraction sentences on their recording sheets.
• Valentine's Day Themed Math Journal Prompts
LITERACY VALENTINE'S CENTERS
• 2 Valentine-Themed Acrostic Poems
• 2 Making Words
Students make different words using the letters in “Valentine's Day” and "Friendship"
• 2 Valentine-Themed Writing Prompts
2 prompts with room for illustrations and writing
• Using Your Senses:
Provides students a graphic organizer as they use all 5 senses to describe Valentine's Day
• ABC Order:
Asks students to cut out 18 Valentine-themed words and arrange them in alphabetical order. Once in order, students write their list on the recording page.
• 2 Valentine-Themed Word Searches
Leveled easy & hard
• Heart Sight Word Scramble:
Students are asked to unscramble high frequency/sight words and record their answers.
• Opinion Writing
Students will choose whether they enjoy giving valentines or receiving valentine's more and give reasons to support their opinion.
• Friend Wanted Advertisement:
Students are asked to think of the qualities they look for in a friend and create a "Wanted Ad" for the perfect friend.
© Jillian Starr 2014
This product is intended for personal use in one classroom only. For use in multiple classrooms, please purchase additional licenses.