Valentine's Day - Candy Hearts - Close Reading Passages and Text-Dependent Questions TDQs:
Close reading is greatly emphasized in the Common Core. Teaching close reading strategies and providing regular practice are a great way to increase rigor within your reading program. This packet can be used with your unit for Valentine's Day or any time of year!
When stores and classrooms fill up with candy hearts in February, your class will be able to read and learn more about the interesting history behind these sweet little love notes with this mini-packet. It can be used for close reading activities with small groups or the whole class.
This item contains one nonfiction passage written in the second grade and third grade text complexity band. It can be used with very high-achieving first grade students or fourth grade learners reading below grade level.
- text dependent question page (emphasizing main idea, context clues, author's purpose, summarizing, vocabulary, nonfiction text features)
- culminating writing activities with focus questions to set purpose for reading
- culminating illustrations drawing and writing/labeling activity
- create a new candy love note (drawing and descriptive writing)
-writing papers for constructed response items with prompts
-graphic organizer (to provide structure for a 5 sentence paragraph with transitions and text-based support)
- 2 point checklist/rubric for assessment of the writing piece based on comprehension of text
** Please note that this is a reading activity and the text is not intended to teach all that there is to know about candy hearts! It is an overview of the history of conversation hearts and a description of how they have changed over the years. :)
Thank you for taking a look at this item!
Other nonfiction reading passages on a variety of high interest and seasonal topics are available at my store. More are on the way soon! Please follow my store if you would like to receive notification of new items and freebies as they are made available.
Creative Lesson Cafe