Let’s combine technology and the excitement of an escape room and try a fun digital breakout! You may already know how highly engaging an escape event can be. You might also be hesitant to try locks and boxes and the prep. I have you covered! The Escape the Chocolate Museum resource is completely digital! No locks, no boxes, nothing to prep! This is labeled as a Valentine Day activity- but it can be used any time of the year.
Students will tackle four tasks in a Google Slides presentation. Each task focuses on a different skill. This includes reading passages, using a table, math problems, and unscrambling letters. When they have solved the four puzzles, they will take the secret codes they found and click through to the Unlock page in Google Forms. If they have the correct codes, they will Escape the Chocolate Museum!
What is the Escape?
Students are on a field trip to a chocolate museum. A team takes a wrong turn and gets separated. They find a door and enter. Inside the room is a sign that says, “To find your way back to your teacher and classmates you will have to complete four tasks in four of the rooms of the museum. Each task earns a secret code. Collect all four and escape!
This can be completed by one student, but the ideal number would be 2-3 as a team. The use of collaboration, sharing the work, and communication is one asset of breakouts or escape rooms!
What are the tasks?
- Task 1 – Students read short passages in the Chocolate History Room. The answers to questions will give them letters that spell the first secret code.
- Task 2 – Students view sculptures in the Chocolate Sculptures Room. They use a data table to respond to questions. Each answer gives them a number and placing those digits in a specific order is the secret code.
- Task 3 – Students view the Chocolate Box Room and complete math problems. A correct answer will allow them to choose one painting in the room to move. A secret code is hidden beneath the painting.
- Task 4 – Students visit the Chocolate Trivia Room and read labels with fun facts. They move specific labels to reveal letters. By arranging the letters correctly they will find the last secret code.
- Unlock Form- students fill in the codes they collected. The answers are self-checking and students cannot advance on the form until the answer is correct.
What is included?
- 23-page Teacher’s Guide with a link to add the Google Slide presentation and Google Form to your Google Drive. The guide has step-by-step instructions if you need them.
- Instructions include how to copy the link, how to set up the file in Google Classroom, how to copy a link to the last page of the student slides, tips for every task, answers to each student task and how it is found, and more!
- Student activity in Google Slides
- A detailed Answer Key is included.
CHECK THE PREVIEW TO SEE EVERYTHING! You will notice only one slide has a reference to Valentine's day. This breakout is a perfect addition to the month of February or any month of the year!
Why should you try a paperless breakout?
- It is truly paperless! No printing, no laminating, no cutting, no storage dilemmas, no locks, no boxes.
- Students or teams work on their own copy.
- Students use classroom devices or their own personal devices.
- An escape room or breakout is highly engaging and interactive.
What do you need to know?
- This resource was created using Google Slides and Google Forms.
- You must have a Google account.
- Having a Google Classroom account will help you stay organized and easily assign the breakout.
You are going to love this event! The very detailed teacher's guide will walk you through every part of the breakout.
Need more DIGITAL BREAKOUTS? Try these:
You might also enjoy these Valentine's Day Resources:
- Valentine's Day Escape Room (locks and boxes)
- Escape the Candy Factory (no locks)
- STEM Challenge Bow and Arrow
- STEM Challenge Candy Box
- STEM Challenge Zip Line
- Valentine's Day STEM Challenges Bundle
- Valentine Math Print and Solve Gr. 3
- Valentine Math Print and Solve Gr. 4
- Valentine Math Print and Solve Gr. 5
- Valentine's Day Print and Read
- Valentine's Day Printable and Digital Reading
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Keep in Touch!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!