This set of Valentine's Interactive Books are perfect for teaching receptive and expressive verbs. They are also a great tool for preparing early learning or special education students for Valentine's Day.
All 3 versions of the book focus on verbs and the activities common to Valentine's Day. The text of the books are identical, but each one targets different skills in language and reading.
- Book 1: Matching picture to picture
- Book 2: Receptive ID of Verbs Students find the picture that matches the sentence on the page.
- Book 3: Expressive ID of Verbs Students say or write in the missing word based on the sentence and picture.
In addition to learning verbs, there is a repetitive phrase on each page that students can recite or that you could record on a speech-generating device for participation by students who are nonverbal.
- Read them with group activities. There are manipulative pieces for 2 of the books and students can respond with choral response to fill in the blank in the other.
- In a group activity, for the 2 books with matching pictures, have students choose one of the pictures and then identify (e.g., raise their hand, hold up the picture) when the reader turns to the page and then place it on the page.
- Use the books for independent work systems or time where the students can match the pictures or write in the missing words.
- They are great for inclusion buddy reading activities where typical peers read the story to a student with disabilities who can participate by matching the picture or using a speech generating device.
- Use them in individual instruction for vocabulary and literacy. Have students identify the title of the book and the author. Have them describe the pictures. Cover up the text and have the students describe the pictures.
- Use them for explicit instruction by using the matching pictures for students to tell you what the participants are doing, name items in the picture (e.g., mailbox), or give you the picture that depicts a specific activity.
More early learning activities and supports for students with ASD can be found in my store or through the following links:
Valentine's Day Illustrated Adapted Books for Language by Christine Reeve is copyrighted for single classroom use only. This product may not be resold and can be copied for personal use within a classroom only. If extra copies are needed throughout a school district, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for prices. © Christine Reeve 2019.